RE: canonical names for timezones

John,

You are correct.  I just submitted an update for ICU to include all 439 ISO
639 codes.  You should use the 2 letter code if there is one.  RFC 3066 also
provides for the IANA language names like i-klingon and x-anything as well.
You can represent all ISO 3166 country codes with two letter codes.  IANA
character sets can be up to 40 bytes.  The largest time zone name is
currently 27 characters but I allow for 32 just in case.  Variants are
typically up to 8 bytes but I have seen  11 byte variants.  It is also
possible to have compound variants like:

 es_ES.iso-8859-15@TRADITIONAL-EURO#Europe/Madrid

Carl