Re: Tool to pseudotranslate Java resource bundles

Like David, I also use perl scripts to pseudo localize various pieces
of the product, like Java resource bundles, catgets message files,
xml files, help html files, etc.

Since I'm involved with I18N testing, rather than do a full translation, I
have
the scripts place some multibyte at the beginning and end of each message or
label, and sometimes put a couple of letters identifying which message file it
is in the prefix as well. Doing this allows us to still read the labels and
messages in English, but know they are coming from the locale specific
file; and
the multibyte, depending on length of prefix and suffix, allows verification
of proper display of multibyte and verification of dynamic resizing at the
same time. (All this asssumes the pseudo localized files are  properly
named and installed at correct locale specific locations)

Also, scripts can have filters in them that skip lines that should
not be translated, or to localize non translatable but localizable
resources or
to substitute other encoding values.

There are some sample scripts that do this on the I18N Testing pages at Sun,
starting at:

http://soldc.sun.com/articles/i18n/index.html

and more specifically at:

http://soldc.sun.com/articles/i18n/I18N_Testing.html

http://soldc.sun.com/articles/i18n/messagefiles.html
with sections on catgets, gettext and java Bundles

In the catgets section is a sample script that also allows the prefix
and suffix increase by a certain percentage, to simulate expansion
of translated text in other languages.

Thanks - Ken

 > From: "vdlinden" <vdlinden25@hotmail.com>
 > To: "Boza, Gladys \(Gladys\)" <boza@avaya.com>, <www-international@w3.org>,
<i18n-prog@yahoogroups.com>
 > Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:18:46 -0400
 > Subject: Re: Tool to pseudotranslate Java resource bundles
 >
 > Tool to pseudotranslate Java resource bundlesHello Gladys,
 >
 > You should check out MULTILIZER, which supports pseudo-translation for java
and XML files (www.multilizer.com) or try the Pseudolocalizer from a company
called Onerealm (www.onerealm.com). Otherwise create some kind of macro or
script yourself to pseudo-translate the Java properties files.

 > Regards,
 >
 > Cornee van der Linden

translation (e.g.: German) of Java resource bundles. I need this for i18n
testing purposes.

 >   The tool JILKIT offers this but the only dictionary available is
simplified
Chinese. I would like to have a European language like German. I would need to
upload a dictionary and I haven't been able to find one for German.