Re: Localization without translation? (was: Re: Business Case for i18n?)

This is a huge topic! However, here are just a few 'best practices' from
our globalization practice:

Typically, text-based UI (not content) date and time strings (in formats
like MM-DD-YYYY) should not be used and should definitely not show up in external resource files at all. Using locale-sensitive code,
all date/time/currency related UI strings should be generated 'on the fly'
using substitution variables (%date) that allow the process to display the
correct format for the user locale (provided the user locale has been
communicated to the process through querying the client or profile
settings submitted by the user).

Date and time strings that are an integral part of content (as in: "After
his birthday, which was on 02/03/2001, he suddenly felt his age") should
NOT be extracted into external resource files and localized separately
from that content. If and when the content gets localized, the date/time
strings will get properly localized as well (by the localizer). It is
generally bad globalization practice to mix locale formatting conventions
within the same 'logical unit' of content.

A third caveat has to do with transferring date, time or numeric values
formatted as strings across machine boundaries: The sending and receiving
processes may be using different date, time and numeric formatting rules.
If the receiving process must parse, interpret or process these values,
and it parses or performs string-to-xx conversions based on its local
formatting rules, the operation will fail. For example, a French process
will format the date "12/25/98" as "25/12/98", the time "6:31pm" as
"18:31", and the number "13,244.89" as "13 244,89". A Japanese or
Portuguese process will use different formats for the same data. To
correctly interpret incoming data formatted as strings, the receiving
process must know the locale of the sending process, and the formatting
rules associated with it. The safer and more efficient way is to transfer
dates, times and numbers as binary data (or any other locale-neutral
representation), and let the receiving process perform the formatting
according to its local rules.

Kind regards,

Robert VanRaamsdonk
Global Engagement Consultant