Re: Use of charset name CNS11643

Andrea Vine wrote:

> All,
> I received a question which is quite difficult to answer.  I'd like to preface
> this with a few statements so as to avoid unrelated info:
>
> 1.  I know that CNS11643 is a coded character set (CCS) from the Taiwan gov't
> standards body.
> 2.  I know that a CCS is not the same thing as a character encoding scheme
> (CES).
>
> 3.  I use the term "charset" to refer to the name of a particular combination of
> CCS and CES, for example, the charset EUC-TW.
>
> Given that, has anyone seen the name "CNS11643" being used for EUC-TW, say, in
> an HTML document meta tag, an HTTP header, or an email header?  Since neither
> name is official, has anyone seen the name "EUC-TW"  used in such situations?
> Does anyone know if various browser versions generate or understand these 2
> names?  How about mail clients?

I think netscape use "x-euc-tw" instead of "euc-tw" . I don't think we use
"cns11643"

Also, please see the old study erik van der poel did before:
http://people.netscape.com/erik/easier-web/
see
Web protocol statistics:  US  Japan  Germany

Do NOT send mail to erik@netscape.com . erik no longer work for Netscape and that
email address is invalid now.

> Is anyone actively working on registering the charset names EUC-TW or EUC-CN
> with IANA?

10 years ago, while I still work for III (Institute for Information Industry), DEC
help use to register CNS 11643-1 and 2 to ISO registry. In that time, it is very
hard to register any thing from Taiwan since all International standard body do not
recognize Taiwan as a country since it is not part of UN and afraid of making PRC
govement mad. DEC registry CNS 11643-1 and 2 to ISO registry as a company. I thing
the same kind of problem still exist now, 10 years later. Don't expect any govement
organization / standard body from Taiwan can do that job. Those international
standard body simply will shut them down, at least those organization in Taiwan
belive that way- which may be still the case as today.