Re: i18n - Java vs Perl

The latest versions of Perl do support message catalogs, but you are far
better off with Java in my opinion.  #1.  Native use of Unicode for strings
and #2 you can use resource files.  I guess the biggest reason I'd
recommend Java is that you can thread your application so you don't have
the overhead of launching multiple instances of the PERL interpreter
(unless you are running one of the new Perl interpreters which don't
require an instance per executing script of the interpreter).  This can
give Java a huge performance advantage over Perl  in terms of memory
utilization and response time.

Hope this helps some.  I'm sure others can give you a lot more info as my
knowledge is peripheral. For more info on Java and I18N, there was a great
presentation at Unicode 15.  Go to
http://www.unicode.org/iuc/iuc15/papers.html for a great paper (Conference
TA4) by Richard Gillam of IBM.

George