Re: BOM & Unicode editors

Hello Saba,

For some more information on UTF-8, please see
http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/mml/mduerst/papers/PDF/IUC11-UTF-8.pdf.

There are some errors in the slide on page 5, but
they are not very relevant here.

The paper in particular shows how easy it is to automatically
detect UTF-8 based on its specific byte patterns. This can
mostly be done on the fly, i.e. a decoder starts with the
assumption that it reads only ASCII and decides whether it's
the local legacy encoding or UTF-8 once the first bytes
with the 8th bit set are seen.

One big problem of using the BOM as a 'magic number' for UTF-8
also shouldn't go unmentionned here:

UTF-8 without a BOM has the very important property that it
encodes ASCII as ASCII, and everything else as something else.
An ASCII file therefore is automatically UTF-8. All the nice
things that you can do with text files can be done with UTF-8,
too. However, once there is a BOM on a file, an ASCII file is
no longer ASCII, and very simple operations such as an Unix
'cat' fail.

Regards,   Martin.