Re: [Moderator Action] dir attribute in LINK

Eli Marmor's notes are following.

Jony

Martin J. Duerst wrote:

>At 05:20 99/08/05 -0400, Nir Dagan wrote:
>>
>> The HTML4.0 spec. [1] suggests that the dir attribute in LINK
>> refers to the directionality of the linked resource.
>> This is very different from the lang attribute that refers to the
>> language of the title attribute (and hreflang refers to that
>> of the linked resource)
>>
>> It seems to me that
>>
>> 1. It would make more sense that dir would refer to the title
>> attribute's directionality.
>
>Yes indeed, like DIR everywhere else.

I agree with both.
It is FORBIDDEN to put instructions about how to display a page in
another page that the linked page doesn't have a link (like in CSS)
to. Each page must have all the information about how to display it
or links to other documents with this information (like in CSS),
unless the page is a part of set of documents (like in frames)
which is displayed usually together, so the "parent" may have some
information, and even in that case - only information about
positioning/placement/allocated-sizes/etc. of the "children".

As an example, you may think about such a page which is saved by a
user, or its URL is saved as a bookmark/favorite. Next time the

user will open this page, that "DIR" or whatever rule, will not be
followed, because here the page is displayed as a standalone page.

>> 2. In order to refer to directionality of linked resources
>>  we need a new attribute, e.g., hrefdir
>
>i don't think this is needed. 'hreflang' and 'charset' are
>very helpful because they help selecting the right link and
>can provide information that may not be in the target document.
>But my guess is that 'dir' is always used in the target document
>(otherwise, it won't be readable), and therefore, it's not needed
>on link.

Here I must disagree with Nir (and agree with Martin), because of
the same reason I wrote above.

P.S. My apology for being missing at this week's meeting. I was
out of Israel for 48 hours.
--
Eli Marmor
*   ___ _  __ ___  __    _ |__ _ _    marmor@elmar.co.il      *