Re: W3C publishes Ruby Working Draft

"Martin J. Duerst" wrote:

> Thanks to Y. Teramoto, an unofficial Japanese translation is
> already available at:
> http://www.cypress.ne.jp/teramoto/misc/ruby/ruby981221_ja
>
> [please note that on some browsers, it is not readable, but
> this problem should be fixed soon.]

Netscape 4.5 allowed manual switching of the encoding to "Japanese
auto-detect" but was then unable to locate a font for displaying the
Japanese characters (although I do have Bitstream Cyberbit and the
Dynalab Unicode font installed (and yes I know that the glyphs in the
Dynalab font are Chinese). However, it appeared to be displaying the
document ok but with hollow boxes for all Japanese characters.

IE 5beta2 informed me that I needed to install Japanese support which it
did from the XML98 CD, then without reloading or restarting windows ;-)
it displayed the document. I have no way to tell whether it correctly
decoded the characters and applied the right glyphs, since I do not read
japanese; I enclose a screenshot of the result and if someone could
verify that it is correct, that would be helpful. The text in the title
bar was incorrect.

HoTMetal Pro 5 did not correctly display the document; it was greatly
truncated and showed a mess of ASCII characters. However, it was able to
tell me that the document saved from IE5 was invalid (IE5 had added an
SGML comment at the top and had then, mysteriously, added a </comment>.)

Tests were done on Windows NT4.0, US version, with service pack 4.

I note that the text in the diagrams was not translated; once we have
SVG support in the browsers then the diagrams could have been done in
SVG and the text could thrn readilly have been translated.