Re: LANG + Metadata + unknown attributes

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Jon Knight wrote:

> So whose going to volunteer to go round to all the machines on
> the Internet that have SGML validators, editors, MS Word+IA, etc, etc and
> update their HTML DTDs for their administrators?  Without some force
> behind it (IETF, W3C, de facto industry standard or whatever), your hacked
> DTD is likely to only exist on a very few machines and everyone else's
> tools will still eat your non-standard HTML.  That's life.

Well, yes. So?

I'm don't know *anything* about SGML syntax and philosophy - I want to make
this clear. But nsgmls and DTDs in my machine serve one purpose: to make
sure I write correct HTML according to *MY* rules. Specifically, my rules
are HTML 3.2 + CSS1, and by CSS1 I mean CLASS and all the other tags and
attributes that were missing from HTML 3.2. I don't mind if that's not a W3C
Recommendation; It's as backward compatible with older browsers as HTML 3.2
is, and newer browsers support it in full. I don't want to use HTML Pro
because it's got loads and loads of stuff that I *DON'T* want to use.

And I also write a lot of Greek web pages. So, essentially, my rules are
HTML 3.2 + CSS1 with ISO-8859-7. It's not a standard. But if you cut and
paste a couple of DTDs (which I *don't* know how to do) then you can get
this done. So I *DO* hope someone comes up with these "combination" DTDs.
Then I can design pages as I want them and also be able to validate them.

--
Stephanos "Pippis" Piperoglou - http://users.hol.gr/~spip/index.html
I've never finished anything I began, but this time I'm