Re: Charset support (was: Accept-Charset support)

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> # RFC1522 is not inescapable.
>
> It is if you want to serve something other than Unicode and ISO-8859-1
> (now) or US-ASCII (if you were to get your way).

Shouldn't that be:
something other than
	ISO-8859-1 (as of the current HTTP1.1 draft)
	Unicode/ISO 10646 (if UTF-8 would be accepted)
Of course, both include US-ASCII as a subset.

> And anyone who wants
> to build software that works for clients who have software that use
> anything other than Unicode (i.e., most of the currently deployed web
> clients) will have to support RFC 1522.

Current clients don't support HTTP 1.1 anyway. Current clients
also don't support RFC 1522 at the places where it is needed
(even if they use it in mail headers). Newer clients will
accept Unicode. Therefore, there is a chance to avoid RFC1522.

> # Accept-language: Yes. For Accept-Charset, there is a chance to
> # make a difference. By the time a serious amount of non-English
> # warnings is sent around, the major browsers will have UTF-8
> # support anyway. So there is a chance that we can avoid
> # RFC1522 altogether.
>
> There is no chance.

You need better arguments to convince me.

Regards,	Martin.