Re: A character is in the eye of the beholder

Martin J Duerst writes:

> Keld Simonsen wrote:
>
> >Well, does the ordering have influence on WWW ?
> >I think it may do so, for example when a server sends over a
> >sorted list of files in a directory. It may also influence indexes
> >which could be of some importance in the chaotic world of the web.
> >
> >So I think the web should support culturally dependent ordering.
>
> In theory, this is already possible. The client would send an
> "Accept-Language" line in the GET header in the HTTP protocol,
> and the server would prepare the information accordingly.
> But I guess this will take some time to be implemented on
> many servers.

We discussed the architecture of character handling, i18n etc
in the IAB, and noticed that sorting is not only dependent on
language, but on the users preferences, where language and culture
and country is prominent ingredients. So we said that this layer
in our model should be 'locale' oriented in the sense of C and
POSIX locales, where we also would see it implemented in many
cases. So I would rather recommend that we do not mix language
and the locale, but that we introduce a locale facility in HTTP.

Keld