Fwd: Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Translation de: Personal names around the world
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:29:41 +0000
From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
To: Gunnar Bittersmann <gunnar@bittersmann.de>

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for these and the other comments you sent recently. I'm back in
the office as of today, and I'll try to clear some of them down now, and
others over coming days.

See notes below:

On 13/01/2014 10:08, Gunnar Bittersmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> Some browsers (I think I spotted this in Chrome on iPad) would insert a
> line break after a hyphen, even if there’s a space before the hyphen as
> in ‘followed by -sson for a male and -sdóttir for a female’. As a
> result, this might be displayed as:
>
> … followed by -sson for a male and -
> sdóttir for a female …
>
> but should be displayed as
>
> … followed by -sson for a male and
> -sdóttir for a female …
>
> To overcome this bad browser behavior, the suffixes need some markup:
>
> followed by <span class="suffix">-sson</span> for a male and <span
> class="suffix">-sdóttir</span> for a female
>
> and a rule in the stylesheet (changed file attached):
>
> .suffix { white-space: nowrap; }

Actually, what I did was replace the ordinary hyphen with U+2011
NON-BREAKING HYPHEN (no markup).

> The same applies to the pragraph starting with ‘We already saw that the
> patronymic in Iceland ends in -son or -dóttir’.
>
> Hm, no genitive s here? It was -sson and -sdóttir above. Shouldn’t it be
> the same in both places?

I think either will do. The first references was to the stuff that is
added to the given name, eg. -sson, the second is merely to what ends
the name as a whole, so -son is fine, in my opinion.

> You might want to change this to:
>
> We already saw that the patronymic in Iceland ends in <span

> become:

Yes, that's interesting. I originally meant to say the equivalent of
"end in the letter 'a'", but I can see that that looks inconsistent, so
I changed it to "end in -a".

> The qchar class is not the best choise anyway since the rendered
> apostrophes ‘a’ fit to English typography, but not to other languages.
> And despite being just one letter, -a is a suffix like -sson and
> -sdóttir, i.e. it should not differ in typography.

Done.

> The suffix class should also be used on ‘Although you can attach -san to
> given names’ in the very last paragraph:
>
> Although you can attach <span class="suffix">-san</span> to given names

Also used non-breaking hyphen.

> All this might apply to the French, Russian and Ukrainian translations
> as well.

True, but I'll leave that for the translator to worry about. Not enough
time to change those editorial things at the moment.

> I use that markup in my German translation (working draft), having the
> proposed rule in a style element in the head. If you would use that
> markup and the stylesheet with the additional rule I might remove the
> style element from my translation. Please let me know.

Your choice - it will probably look the same doing it either with the
markup or the non-breaking hyphen.

Cheers, and Happy New Year,
RI