Re: [Comment on WS-I18N WD]

Phillips, Addison wrote:
>>> I'm not sure about "RFC 822 zone offset", that is
>>> for my European eyes rather US-centric, and not what
>>> I'd expect in a memo claiming to be about I18N.  The
>>> draft says:

>> Yes I think this is an important note. Zone offsets are not very
>> useful
>> because it does not identify a time zone. I think this note implies
>> using Olson ID is preferred. (for this reason I intentionally put
>> it
>> first, switching from the order in the draft).
>>

> I think you draw too broad a conclusion here. I agree that zone offsets do not fully identify time zones [1]. However, you can't really say that "zone offsets are not very useful", because there are plenty of cases in which they are exceedingly useful, such as the many cases in which one only has an offset and not a full time zone. To deny a system that has only the offset the ability to specify it seems foolish, which is why I included that particular representation originally.

I do think zone offsets are useful in some cases and should be valid. I
did not mean to deny a system that can only identify the offset. I meant
generally full time zone is preferred to offset alone. (However in
reality full time zone identification is often not achieved or supported
- web client, calendar, XML schema and ISO 8601, to name a few.)

Regards,
-Dan