Re: Your comments on the Character Model [C162, C163]

Le 23 janv. 2004, à 14:48, Richard Ishida a écrit :
> C163

My comment:
>       I found interesting the way you have declared the rules of
> Conformance for your specifications. I would like to know if there's a
> plan for a Test Suite or at least Examples and Techniques to
> demonstrate your technologies.

Your answer

>       Rationale: We have classified this as 'Not applicable', because
> you are just as kind about our plans, not suggesting changes to the
> document.
> The Character Model is an architectural specification, and it is
> therefore difficult if not impossible to create binary tests.

It was not specific about the binary issue, but about the whole
documents. How do you define test cases for Charmod or in better terms,
how do you prove its applicability?

We have struggled with the same thing in the QA WG, but we had by
requirements of our spec and by the process to prove that it was
possible to do. See for example the testable assertions for QAFrame
Spec (http://www.w3.org/TR/qaframe-spec/

	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2003Sep/att-0018/
Assertions.html
	http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa-wg/2004Jan/att-0057/
NewTestAssertion.htm

> If we had an automatic test to see whether another specification
> conforms to the character model, that would indeed be great, but it is
> obvious that this is impossible.

A test is not necessary "machine" automatable. A test can be done by
human checking.

> We also expect that for passing CR, we will have to provide a list of
> other specifications that follow the various provisions in Charmod,
> and such a list will provide a wealth of examples.

And I guess the list of features, which have been passed or failed...
so a test suite.

Keep going on the good work.

W3C Conformance Manager
*** Be Strict To Be Cool ***