RE: proposed charter items for possible URI working group

At 18:40 02/07/20 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:

>I think you're asking a fairly confusing question.
>
>I was asked to propose a charter for a group to update
>the URI spec, and I proposed *NOT* introducing -- into
>the same specification -- the IRI concepts. An IRI isn't
>a URI, it's something else. They're related, but different.

I agree. Pointing out the relationships in the new URI spec
is a good idea, but the two specs should stay separate
(in particular also because the IRI spec is further
along the path than the URI update).

>Whether one wants to create a version of HTTP which
>uses IRIs instead of URIs is a completely separate
>issue which the IRI group might consider but would
>be out of scope for the URI update.

Well, rather than the 'IRI group' (which is actually
the W3C Internationalization WG), this should be
considered by the HTTP folks.

>Since "uri@w3.org" seems to be open to more general
>discussions, perhaps we need another list whose focus
>is the narrower topic of URI update.

For the moment, I think using the same list is okay.
If we get a real WG, we can create a new list. I guess
W3C may be able to host it.

Regards,   Martin.