Re: Link Relationship for Moving Down a Hierarchy

On 15.01.2011 16:03, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> HTML5 has "up" as a link relationship, but nothing for the opposite
> direction. I'd been using rev="up" for this, but since @rev has been
> removed from HTML5 I'd like to specify an inverse relationship to use.
> Would the obvious name, "down", be most sensible, or something like
> "sub", or some other proposal? Has this been discussed before?

I don't think it has been discussed. Probably because it's not entirely
clear what it would be good for -- in many cases, there'd by many many
"down" links.

> Should a "down" link relationship conform to the same repetition
> semantics as "up"?

I'd wait for the resolution of
<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/119>.

> My use case is for archived pages whose contents I can't modify
> without of course making them non archived content. I want to link to
> ancient pages and mark them up as being sub-pages of the page that
> discusses them.

Hm. Maybe this deserves a more specific relation?

Additional pointers:

Web Linking spec: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5988>

IANA registry:
<http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations/link-relations.xhtml>