Re: Compatibility: Referencing Style Elements when serving as XML

On Sat, 7 May 2011, Luis Marsano wrote:

> I'm not sure I follow. You're saying an XML processor only supports
> xml-stylesheet declarations linking to correctly MIME typed content,
> which a CSS fragment embedded in an XML MIME type document is not?

Right. A link to what you happen to know is a CSS fragment embedded in an
XML MIME type document is still just a link to an XML file to the UA.

> On rereading my last message, I think I should clarify.
> The XHTML 1.0 specification guidelines say DO include an XML
> processing instruction (xml-stylesheet declaration; XML convention).
> The XHTML Media Types group note says DO NOT (HTML user agents render
> something undesired; XHTML compliance requires style and link element
> processing anyway).
> The guidelines are inconsistent. People may not know what to do or
> incorrectly conclude the wrong guidelines are correct. This was my
> point.

These guidelines are basically all obsolete at this point, having been
replaced by the new HTML specification which more accurately describes
reality.