Re: Inconsistency in HTML 4.01 regarding NBSP

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Kent Karlsson
<kent.karlsson14@comhem.se> wrote:
> Den 2010-01-15 20.27, skrev "Aryeh Gregor" <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>:
>> Sometimes it's collapsed, sometimes ignored, sometimes treated as
>> significant, and sometimes this depends on whether it's ASCII
>> whitespace or Unicode whitespace.
>
> What is that supposed to mean? Yes, there are more "whitespace" characters
> (which is a term with several interpretations) in Unicode than in ASCII. But
> that does not seem to be what you are aiming at here.

I'm not clear what you're asking me.  HTML5 defines at least two
different types of whitespace: what it calls "space characters" (0x9,
0xa, 0xc, 0xd, 0x20), and what it calls "White_Space characters"
(Unicode characters with the White_Space property).  See
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/common-microsyntaxes.html#space-character>.
 The two types of whitespace are treated differently in some ways by
the standard.  For instance, "a set of space-separated tokens"
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/common-microsyntaxes.html#set-of-space-separated-tokens>
count only "space characters", not "White_Space characters", as space.