Re: [OFF TOPIC] CRUD table form problems

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:21, Phillip Conrad <pconrad.cis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM, John Foliot - WATS.ca <foliot@wats.ca>
> wrote:
>>
>> Am I the only one on a "standards" mailing list that finds this statement
>> preposterous?  I hope that whomever Thufir finds to answer his question
>> provides a sufficiently useful answer - it might not be the *right* answer
>> of course, but it might suffice.
>
> I'm confident you aren't the only one.    Folks tend to wander onto this
> list rather frequently thinking that they will find help with basic HTML
> questions.
>
> They do not understand that this is a list for advanced practitioners that
> are helping to develop and refine new standards for HTML---and they may have
> been given incorrect advice to ask questions here.
>
> These folks are often not up-to-speed on even basic concepts such as what
> "validation" means in the context of producing language standards (e.g. the
> idea that a given string is either a sentential form in a given
> grammar---i.e. "valid"---or it is not.)

I think this might have something to do with the wording of the
current HTML 4.01 REC: "Public discussion on HTML features takes place
on www-html@w3.org (archives of www-html@w3.org)."

That might be misleading.  I doubt the spec would be updated just to
make a change for that since errors by people like Thufir don't happen
terribly often.  Here is my proposed addendum, disregarding what I
just wrote:
"Please note that it is not intended to be a source of help regarding
HTML.  There are a number of message boards with users who have more
time to address such issues."

It's just a thought, but it might help.

> This is unavoidable unless we make this a moderated list---which means some
> poor soul has to volunteer their time to read every posting and pass
> judgment on it.      Unlikely to happen.

I hope this doesn't happen, especially since that would require
changing the HTML 4.01 REC anyway.

--
Technology can be used for good or evil.  Remember that and determine
which side pays the most, taking into account the fact that payment