Re: Fwd: HTML5 and XHTML2 combined (a new approach)

Giovanni Campagna wrote:

> Yes, the fact is that they needed HTML5, a completely new and huge
> specifications, to add few new features (on the core vocubulary side):
> video - audio - canvas - datalist - section - etc.
> If HTML4 had been modularized, HTML5 would have used HTML4's table
> module, text module (b-i-span-strong..), metainformation module
> (html-head-body-meta) etc.

I think a single monolithic specification is more fundamental to HTML5
than that.  Their primary market is people who require that all browsers
behave exactly alike, in particular produce the same displayed reseult,
which means that sub-setting is strongly discouraged.  Their market is
also assumed not to know what is valid HTML, so can't be expected to
know what is in a particular module.

--
David Woolley