Re: Using the X in XHTML to make hacks work in validators

Tei wrote:
> People like Google and others add stuff to his webpages to fix general
> problems. I call that hacks "Crown Control Hacks".
> One of that hacks is rel=nofollow,  other is autocomplete="off"  (that
> one is created by mozilla, I think).

For what it's worth, rel="nofollow" is entirely valid in HTML 4.x and
XHTML 1.x, although to be conforming technically you should include a
profile attribute that defines "nofollow".

autocomplete was invented by Microsoft. Given Opera doesn't pay any
attention to it by default, its utility is somewhat questionable.

> - Browsers hate my code and show the "]>" , but maybe is me... tryiing
> to run XHTML on HTML browsers with the wrong mime type.(FAIL!)

IIRC this represents an "error" in how some browsers parse HTML.

In any case, it's a well-publicized issue with appending to the DTD in
this way:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customdtd/

> It has to run on IE and Firefox.   (NOTE: I use text/html to make IE
> happy, but If a different mime type can help, I want to know)

I believe you can swap in a different DTD with a local copy of the
validator, so there's no special need to mess around with custom DTDs in
this way.

It's not like what you're doing is conformant anyhow, so the only
purpose of validation is to ensure that you're coding what you meant to
code.

You might consider using draft HTML5, since it might one day standardize
the features you want. It includes autocomplete, not that it requires
browsers to implement it (since it's regarded as a user-hostile feature
desired by banks).

The validator already has experimental support for it.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis