Re: Cleaning House

Jim Jewett wrote:

> On Wed, May 2, 2007 at 7:22 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>> Could you elaborate on why you think that it is bad to
>> have tags be omitted?
>
> I think I dropped this at the time, because I couldn't easily explain
> it except in terms of cleanliness, or safety margins.

I believe that it is bad because (a) it encourages
sloppy markup, and (b) makes the document semantics
far less clear to the human reader.  I do not see
what can be gained by allowing such things, apart
from the trivial benefit of increasing the number
of extant documents that can, as a result, claim
to be "conforming".

Philip TAYLOR