Re: name="" deprecated in XHTML

David Dorward wrote:

> @name defines the name of an anchor for the purposes of fragment
> identifiers, or the name of a control for the purposes of identifying it
> when submitting to the server (and grouping radio buttons), or
> identifies a frame / image map / image, etc.
>
> Most of those cases would, IMO, be better handled by @id,

As understand it, that is exactly why @id was introduced in the first
place.  The only reason @name is still recognized on A elements is to
support pages written for pre-HTML 4.0 browsers.  The only thing I don't
understand is why it's uses as an alternative to @id wasn't deprecated
in HTML 4.

--
David Woolley