Re: tables in html? (separating content bla bla)

Livio Mondini wrote:

> No Karl, is not a presentation or grid problem. Ambiguity is embedded
> in model, that allow two use of element. If i dont use CSS? I know
> enough well css, but this is a problem of markup.
> Try to think on abstract model only.

The current HTML 5 draft does not allow two uses of TABLE: "The table
element represents data with more than one dimension (a table). … Big
Issue: we need some editorial text on how layout tables are bad practice
and non-conforming."

[http://urlx.org/whatwg.org/7b6fd]

Likewise, the current XHTML 2 draft does not allow two uses of TABLE:
"The Tables Module provides elements for marking up tabular information
in a document."

[http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-tables.html#sec_30.4.]

Note "tabular information" not "grid layout".

>  > WAI-ARIA 1.0 (work in progress) -- @role='presentation' (mostly for tables)
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-role/#presentation
> Yes, i know, but this is not solution. Think on simplicity. Why not
> starting on base, with correct semantic of elements?

Can you please be specific about what:

1. What problem you're trying to solve that affects authors or consumers
of HTML or XHTML?

2. What possible solutions there might be?

3. Which solution would be best, in your view, and why?

Because it's not at all clear from what you're saying.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis