Re: Suggestion: 'rel="unrelated"' (was: Re: rel="nofollow" attribute)

John S. Britsios wrote:

> When it comes to Google, I would suggest something like rel="advert"
> instead or rel="nofollow".

I seem to be missing the rest of this thread, or it was rather old.

Any marking of adverts invites advertising counter measures in browsers.
  If the site is paid for each click through, most are not going to want
such countermeasures to be employed.  Even if they were only paid for
carrying the advert, the advertiser is likely to make it a condition
that the advert not be marked in a way that makes disabling it easy.

Also, I think "nofollow" is a bad implementation of what is really a
property of the whole of the third party provided content fragment,
saying "untrusted"; in particular it is a command, but rel attributes
are descriptive.  Strictly speaking, adverts also should be marked as a
whole, but that would make it easy for countermeasures to remove the
whole advert, not just the link.

--
David Woolley