Re: Complex Table Examples

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Nicholas Shanks wrote:

> > > http://broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/navigating/tide-tables.html
> >
> > That table could be done using scope="" without sacrificying much, if
> > anything, in the way of accessibility. I'll take my hat off to you,
> > however, that really is a real world example that would work.
>
> Can you explain how you can use scope for headers since you're effectivly
> forced to use rowgroups where you might not be able to use them. For example,
> if you want to group each week into a separate header, and each month under a
> separate header [...]

Oh is THAT what that page was doing? I honestly couldn't work out what the
blank rows were about when I first saw it. It makes sense now.

Yes, if you were to try and show both the months and the weeks, and wanted
to have headers for all of the above, then scope="" couldn't do it.

> I'm not sure scope="" can accommodate everything yet.

It can't. I did not say it could. However, I'm not convinced that we need
to optimise for the edge cases (one edge case, so far) that it can't
handle, given how rare they are in the wild. (I mean, REALLY rare. Even
after this long, there's only been one example that couldn't be done by
scope="", and that example is theoretical -- the real page doesn't
actually have headers for the weeks.)