Re: "Pave The Cowpaths" Design Principle

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> The intent of the principle was neither of these, at least by my
> understanding. It was more like:

<snip>

Well, that's three possible understandings. Perhaps it's worth the "Pave
the Cowpaths" advocates making sure they are all on the same page,
presenting the result to the group, and then the anti-Cows can see if
they actually disagree with the principle as formulated. :-)

> If you want to solve a problem, and authors already have a common ad-hoc
> solution, consider using the de facto solution rather than making up
> something new, if it does not create significant problems to do so.

The word "consider" is a bit weaselly, in that the above turns from a
principle into a suggestion. Even without a principle, I'm sure we'd
always _consider_ using the de facto solution. But how much weight do we
put on the fact that it's the current de facto solution? I think that's
the question people are struggling with.

> 4) Define some commonly used class names to have their usual commonly
> used semantics.

This isn't a Pave the Cowpaths thing, because (as far as I know)
software which reads the web using semantic information doesn't
currently pay attention to class names. (Or perhaps someone has
counter-examples?) So no-one is using this "cowpath".

Gerv