Re: Complex Table Examples

On Sunday 2007-05-13 20:46 +0100, David Woolley wrote:

> L. David Baron wrote:
> >If something is implemented and used on the Web, it should stay in
> >the HTML spec.  Mark as deprecated if you want, but don't pretend
>
> You will also have to add back things like <tab> and <link rev="made">,
> which are implemented and used (Lynx implements both; I think that some
> other browsers implement rev="made"), but have dropped out of the spec
> (<tab> was HTML 3.0, but rev=made is mainstream).  There are probably
> other things which have dropped out, but have been implemented.

I don't think <tab> is used enough to count.

> In passing, it is not normal for standards to include prior versions, or
> even the complete specification, and there is a difference between a
> standard and an implementation.

It's necessary to do this so that the combination of the new
features and old features is well-defined.  Documents will combine
them, whether you like it or not, unless you want to force
implementations to pay the huge implementation and interoperability
cost of having version-dependent behavior.

-David