Re: The Semantic Debate

Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Personally I'm very interested in how people use HTML4 today, because I
> think largely they are going to keep using HTML5 the same way. If we
> propose something that goes against what people are doing today, I
> suspect it won't be used nearly as much as if we suggest something that
> aids and enhances their current use practices. Granted, that is just a
> hunch and I might be wrong.

There are, I believe, two reasons why the web community at large
might adopt HTML 5 : (1)~Because it's fashionable so to do
(cf.~XHTML); (2)~Because it has something to offer.  XHTML
seemingly had very little to offer, yet the web world went
wide (sorry about the alliteration) about it (at least, they
started using XHTML doctypes and < ... /> constructs).

We have the opportunity to ensure that HTML 5 /does/ have
something to offer, and if we can do that, it will become
/very/ fashionable to use it.  So let's work together to
that end : let's ensure that HTML 5 has something beneficial
to offer, then sit back and wait for nature to take its course.

Philip Taylor