Re: Cleaning House

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> I believe T.V. Raman actually has styling for <b> and <i> in his
> browser. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Users marking things up in
> bold and italic do mean something with it. It's just that you (the
> editor) can't determine what it is and therefore they are good elements
> to use. Using <strong> and <em> instead would likely be very wrong when
> the document mentions a lot of ship names, for instance.

Raman is a technologically savvy user. Does that (aural) styling also
happen for other screen reader users?
Also, if he has styling for <b> and <i>, he'll also hear ship names
marked with <i> the same way that he hears wrongly emphasised pieces of
text marked up with <i> ...

I can't remember where it originated, exactly, but I seem to remember
some discussion a while ago about whether or not ship names should be
marked up via <cite>, as in "citing the ship's name". Of course, marking
  them up naively with <em> would not be right, and it's certainly not
what we're saying either.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/