Re: abbr and acronym

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Frank Hellenkamp wrote:

>> The main problem with having only one tag concern the aural UA :
>> acronyms are prononced like word, while abbr are spelled.

Actually the page http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AbbrAcronym01 (now) says:

"The main problem with having only one tag concern the aural UA : acronyms
are pronounced like word, while most abbr are spelled. Other abbr are a
hybrid form, which are pronounced partly like a word and partly spelled."

> The first thing, that comes to my mind: This doesn't belong into the
> HTML-Specs but in the aural CSS presentation layer, doesn't it?

The _default_ rendering is rather relevant from the HTML perspective. It's
not really just "presentational", since the whole issue revolves around
the relationshion between written and spoken forms of an expression.

Anyway, abbreviations are pronounced in varying ways: as expanded, or by
reading the letters, or as word, or even in some other way (for example,
pronouncing the names of letters in the original language of the
abbreviation, even when speaking a different language). This isn't a
matter of presentation style, really; rather, the pronounced form of an
expression as opposite to the written from. If pronunciation is
presentation, so is the spelling!

Just saying that something is an abbreviation doesn't say much, and it's
debatable what it means to be an abbreviation (or acronym). Is "ISO" or
"Ecma" an abbreviation (or acronym)? Ask the organizations, and they'lle
probably answer "No." Fundamentally, being an abbreviation or an acronym
is just etymologic information, which is normally not relevant to markup;
if you want to tell about etymologies, like expand an abbreviation, _do
so_ in text.

To deal with the issue of aural UA, which is probably mostly just theory
at present but the most serious reason for abbr-like markup, the best
approach is to specify how you include the written and spoken forms when
needed (i.e. when the correspondence is not "normal"). The need for this
is not limited to abbreviations, and for acronyms the issue is irrelevant,
since for them the correspondence _is_ "normal". It's relevant for special
characters for example and for words where the written form corresponds to
several spoken forms (e.g., "record" as a noun vs. as a verb).