Re: [html] Elements within "title"?

I agree, I don't think it's worth changing the entire standards just so
"H2O" will look better.  I believe there's a level of practicality involved,
and if someone saw H20 written without subscripts, they won't be offended or
confused.  :)

I'm definitely open to suggestions as to it's positive beneficial use, but
as of now, I don't see any.  Or at least none that make it worth it in my
opinion.

Best regards,

- Harry Maugans
  http://www.harrymaugans.com

On 3/5/07, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au> wrote:

> James Justin Harrell wrote:
> > Why not create an attribute for the title element to allow markup?

> In the HTML5 parsing algorithm, that would require the tree construction
> phase to set the content model flag in the tokeniser to RCDATA or PCDATA
> based on the presence of the attribute.  Although it might be possible
> to implement, no-one has yet given a valid use case that requires the
> use of markup in the title, is worth the cost of implementation and
> backwards imcompatibility, and has some real practical benefit for users
> and/or user agents.
>
> Your example can be handled using:
>
>    <title>H&#x2082;O</title>
>
> (U+2082 is SUBSCRIPT TWO)
>
> Or simply accept the small limitation and write:
>
>    <title>H2O</title>
>
> --
> Lachlan Hunt
> http://lachy.id.au/