Re: XHTML Applications and XML Processors [was Re: xhtml 2.0 noscript]

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, David Woolley wrote:

> I think it is a reasonable expectation to be able to interact as soon as
> an element appears.
>
> However, I would note that typical commercial designs actually frustrate
> the appearence of the user interface elements by:
>
> a) having the start of the download filled up by a large scripting
> library;

The spec has async="" and defer="" attributes on <script> to help with
this now.

> b) using auto layout tables whose size depends on images, so that the
> browser doesn't have enough information to render the page until it has
> nearly all arrived (I think some browsers do a fix up, rather than
> delaying),

This is a CSS issue.

> I'm also aware of cases where people have deliberately delayed the
> enabling of HCI elements until all the scripting, etc. has loaded,
> because it makes things more predictable that way.

Certainly it is easier to write code when you don't have to worry about
the case where half the code is missing.

> When I've though about this in the past, I've concluded that the current
> specifications are inadequate when there are multiple download streams.
> E.g., if, as ought to be good practice, the scripting library is in a
> .js file, does anything specify what happens if a function is called
> before the parallel load of the scripting file completes (and the
> declaration hasn't yet been seen)?

The specs define this (you get an exception), but it isn't exactly clear
to me what we can do to make this better in a way that authors would
actually leverage.