Re: XHTML and Latest Standards

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:31:30AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:

(in IE)

> XHTML served as application/xhtml+xml is displayed as the parse tree,

I'm pretty sure that only XHTML served as application/xml or text/html
is. Unless its changed for IE7 (I have to confess to not having tested
it), IE treats it like any other content type it doesn't know how to
handle internally:

http://dorward.me.uk/tmp/msiexhtml.png

... but prompting the user to save it or open it in another
application.

> but is, presumably checked for well-formedness.  XHTML served as
> text/html is treated under HTML error recovery rules (with maybe some
> specific XHTML specific ones) and is therefore essentially recognized
> as HTML.

... which includes the lack of support for SHORTTAG constructs in
HTML.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.7

If more clients supported them then Appendix C is unlikely to have
appeared in the spec.