Re: Semicolon after entities

Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> recognize entity references without ";"), then you have effectively
> defined the error as a feature, though a deprecated one. But you can
> proclaim that you have now defined a stricter version of the language. :-)

That is why the HTML5 parsing rules are so large.  They do this for many
things, and, yes, I agree that the effect of this is not to define error
recovery, but rather to define official parts of the language.

It is, however, what the market seems to want, i.e. the ability to
ignore standards when writing and have all browsers attempt to divine
the author intent in the same way.  A very small proportion of users
even read the standards and, judging by some of the books I've sampled,
nor do many authors of books on or including material on, how to use HTML.