Re: Order attribute for lists

 From: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>

> I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  Are you floating the li elements in
> a way that achieves to columns of list items, like this?
>
> 1. item one    2. item two
> 3. item three  4. item four
>
> However, you actually want a way for it to be rendered like this:
>
> 1. item one    3. item three
> 2. item two    4. item four

Yes.

> If so, that's a presentational issue to be handled by a style sheet.  In
> fact, it can already be achieved better using CSS3 Multi-column layout
> properties [1].  Unfortunately, support for it is currently limited.
> AFAIK, Mozilla has some support for it already.

I had looked for a CSS2 and CSS3 list-specific style to do this and didn't
find one. I guess CSS3 multi-columns are a good solution if they can be used
with lists. Maybe there should be a warning about using float with li and a
cross reference to the multi-column properties.

>> I think that floating list items is one of the few if not the only style
>> that could change semantics inappropriately.
>
> Styling does not change semantics, it only affects the way the content is
> perceived.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/

Then I think that floating list items misrepresents the content more than
any other style. To humans, that's pretty much changing semantics.

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.