Re: tags vs elements (was: Re: [ot] Re: [XHTML 2.0] Only one emphasis tag)

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 18:14:57 +0200, Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
wrote:
> Interesting...but why would you have the 'less-than' and
> 'greater-than' symbols there?

Well, because e-mails lack markup. Didn't I mention that?

> That would mean that you are using a
> start tag in ordinary prose, which doesn't seem right to me.

Well, it's a convention.

> Alternatives would be:
>
>   The 'i' element indicates italics.

That clashes with CSS property names.

>   The <em>i</em> element indicates italics.

That might work in HTML e-mail, but it's wrong.

>   The <code>i</code> element indicates italics.

That works fine in HTML e-mail or documents. Not in normal e-mails.

Regarding attributes. For e-mail I try to use "The foo="" attribute is
pretty cool" nowadays and <code>foo</code> in HTML.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>