Re: The right usage of tags

All those words mean quotation? Gosh, and as a native English speaker, I thought the <cite/> element was confusing for a different reason:

To me, a citation is the entire footnote or the parenthetical in a formal document, or the block in a bibliography/works cited page. Parts of these are either underlined or italicized, but *never* the entire thing. I could also interpret "cite" to mean the abstract concept of referencing another source, but then it would just be part of the prose ("...the spokesperson said"). The idea that "cite" would mean the title of the work being cited is not inuitive to me.

So you're saying it also causes people to think quotes are for citing and cites for quoting? Yeesh!

 Ed.

Le Wed, 29 Mar 2006 12:21:16 +0300, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> a écrit:

> Le 06-03-29 à 05:37, Jukka K. Korpela a écrit :
>> Agreed, but it's not a citation but a quotation. Half of people seem to
>> get this wrong. I did too; the Finnish word "sitaatti" (from Swedish
>> "citat"), the German word "Zitat", etc., mean quotation, not citation.
>
> Et en français, citation. ;)

Oui, c'est vrai.

> (And in French: citation)

*i în român*: citat. :)