Re: Re: [XHTML 2.0] emphesis

--- Alexandre Alapetite <alexandre@alapetite.net>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1) Concerning the levels of emphasis, the current
> XHTML 1.x allows
> imbrications of several <strong> and/or <em> tags.
> Although I
> am not aware of any browser taking advantage per
> default of this fact, you
> can perfectly create a CSS style to render
> different way than
> <strong>test</strong>, and this is in my opinion
> easier than with
> various levels. Furthermore, this existing behaviour
> is imho stronger than
> the proposed level attribute, when considering
> longer
> sentences, where the default text is at level 0, a
> part of the sentence at
> level 1 and one word at level 2:

> something <strong>very</strong>
> important</strong>!</p>
>
> Then in CSS, you could have something such as:
>
>   p {
>    font-size:medium;
>    voice-volume:soft;
>   }
>   strong {
>    font-size:120%
>    voice-volume:200%;
>   }
>
> Tested with success with Opera 9 (using
> -xv-voice-volume:).

One of the reasons for suggesting this is so the level
of emphesis is explicit. Rather that relying on css
which may or may not be interpreted. But while we're
on the subject... CSS Attribure Selectors will do the
trick more efficiently imho
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#attribute-selectors).

> 2) In my understanding, <strong> and <em> have two
> different semantic
> meanings.

To quote the HTML 4.01 spec
(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/text.html#h-9.2.1)
"EM: indicates emphesis. STRONG: Indicates stronger
emphesis.