Re: hreflang

Dear list members,

I'm happy about the sudden attention this topic attracts; there's one
point in my original posting, though, that nobody replied to so far. May
I cite myself here:

Am Donnerstag, den 10.11.2005, 23:01 +0100 schrieb Oskar Welzl:
> C.) Why I'm Not Happy With It.
> 2.) It's difficult to handle with CSS
>
> Given a multi-value @hreflang containing, among others, "de-at de-ch
> en-us en-gb ....":
> How do I match this in CSS? [hreflang|="en"] will not work, neither will
> [hreflang~="en"]. CSS and (X)HTML should work well together.
> Not beeing able to CSS-style a document depending on an attribute value
> is a huge drawback and must be traded for an even bigger advantage -
> which I don't see...
> (And, of course: The only way in XHTML 2 to express the old
> metadata-meaning of @hreflang is:
> property="dc:language" content="de"/ >
> Try to do CSS on this one...)

I still believe that styling links with CSS is the main way of
reasonably using metainfo like @hreflang; you know, rotating little
pizzas after links to italian documents ...

My question ist:
Am I simply wrong about this? Is there a version of CSS on its way that
will combine the function of ~= and |= and understand qualifiers before
XHTML2 will see the light of day?

Or is it simply that nobody regarded CSS (or XSLT, for that matter) an
issue when multi-valued, q=(ualified) and subcoded values in attributes
were proposed for XHTML2? (@hreflang is not the only one)

Regards
Oskar