Re: Viral fragment identity ecosystem

On 10/4/05, Ryan King <ryan@theryanking.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2005, at 9:26 AM, Orion Adrian wrote:

> >> Personally, I think URLs + id attributes are enough.
> >>

> > URL's change as do id's so it's not really enough.
>
> Cool ones don't: http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
>
> > To make something
> > truly identifiable it's universal identifier can't change after
> > creation.
>
> Can't change? So we're talking about adding an attribute that can
> never change, even when that element is moved to another URL.
>
> It would seem easier and more reasonable to maintain the url-id system.
>
> > URL's can do that while behaving, but id's most certainly
> > will not given the tight integration of HTML elements and CSS.
>
> I disagree- ids which are functional will be less likely to change.

I'm what I like to call a practical idealist. Something between an
optimist and a realist. At some point, don't we just say that URL+ID
isn't something people are ever going to pick up on because there's
just too much momentum with those particular technologies in the wrong
direction that people will continue to use it the wrong way because
it's always been used the wrong way?

--

Orion Adrian