Re: [XHTML 2] removal of navigation list element

"Sjoerd Visscher" <sjoerd@w3future.com> wrote in message

> Jim Ley wrote:
>> Especially as the slides of the talk include some things which don't
>> agree with the specification such as "The use of content still permitted
>> if you want:"  so I'd guess it was actually based on XHTML 2 drafts that
>> aren't the actual current one.
>
> Content still is allowed:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-metaAttributes.html#adef_metaAttributes_content

oops sorry, you're right, and it's available on any element at all, and it
says "If not specified, then the metadata for an element is its content. "
which means that with <p>chicken</p>  then chicken is metadata about the
paragraph, seems a little odd.

>> One of problems I have with nl, is that you cannot have an ordered
>> navigation, which the role="navigation" method does give us.
>
> Who says <nl>s aren't ordered?

The fact that the specification doesn't say it is?  the fact that it uses
the word collection, whereas for ordered it uses the word "sequence" - Of
course the actual specification like so much else is so underspecified that
we can't really say.

However, if you're right, and it is ordered, then the fact you can't have
unordered navigation is still of a concern to me.

Cheers,

Jim.