Re: Comments on the XHTML 2.0 WD

Maxwell Terpstra wrote:

> On 27-May-05, at 0:49, Johannes Koch wrote:
>
>> Christian Johansen wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think this is a very good example either. Consider this:
>>> <nl>
>>>    <li href="" title="This link takes you to the Home page of this
>>> site.">First Link</li>
>>>    <li href="" title="This link takes you to the Sitemap.">Second
>>> Link</li>
>>> </nl>
>>

>> [...] But with using an attribute like title, the value becomes
>> atomic and cannot marked up any further, which might be necessary.
>

> In the case where additional mark-up is necessary, a definition list
> can be nested inside of the list-item.  This is much preferrable to
> adding a description tag to the other list models.  It keeps the
> models simple, and allows for a greater variety of structures.

Then having <nl> is pointless, because that makes <nl> no different from
<ul>.  Besides, don't you see a problem with this:

<nl>
    <li href="#">
        <dl>
            <dt>Link 1</dt>
            <dd>This is the first link.</dd>
        </dl>
    </li>
    <li href="#">
        <dl>
            <dt>Link 2</dt>
            <dd>This is the second link.</dd>
        </dl>
    </li>
</nl>

Both the term and definition become the link, then; and on top of that,
this is the kind of unnecessary setup that I thought XHTML 2.0 was
trying to avoid.  Not to mention since links can't be nested, any more
information links put in <dd></dd> wouldn't even BE links.

and get the same effect?

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!