Re: infix separators (vs. exfix wrappers) [was: Re: About XHTML 2.0]

To begin, I agree with, and appreciate how verbose and articulate Al was
on his comments.

Citing only a portion of Al's comments below, when HTML was first
introduced, few[er] people had use for the web, and once use started to
spread, technologies for visual presentation (which helped attract the
average user) began to emerge.

The fact that the less containerized model began to appear, and appeal
to [young?] web-authors and visitors to those website alike, was not
only an additional allure to the technology world, but was also enhanced
by the UA's which were (and continue to be) present in the world at that
time.

Now with more and more people having immense need and use for
web-traversal, and technologies such as CSS, and XML continuing to be
developed and support increasing, catering to the
semantic/presentational separation is a requirement.

I agree that <separator> has its use in "quickened page writing" and
perhaps a doctype could be established to support this, but for the main
purpose of the web as I see it, in its semantic nature, a grouping of
what is to be separated is to be favored.  Such that, the author of a
page needs to determine "why" he needs a separator, and what it
separates, rather than simply tossing one in, due to utterance.

Though as I feel I have began to utter (and tangent) myself, I will end
my addition to this thread.
~Justin Wood (online nickname: Callek)