Re: separator/seperator

On May 23, 2005, at 11:30, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> As mentioned before, and it might be wise to repeat it here, styling
> should never be considered an argument for a semantic element.

Have semantics become an end for the sake of semantics themselves? I
thought the purpose of semantic markup was to serve media independence
and useful automatic extraction and search. For serving the purpose of
media independence, stylability and reasonable default presentation are
rather crucial.

If there are elements A and B whose theoretical semantics are
different, but no piece of software ever wants care about the
distinction and they are typically styled the same way, what's the
point of distinguishing the semantics of A and B?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi