Re: why, e.g., input/@checked="checked" ?

David Dorward wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 07:19:15AM -0800, Robert Koberg wrote:
>
>>> <input ... true>
>

>>It is probably a lack of understanding in SGML, but I don't understand
>>why you use true there and not checked.
>

> To demonstrate why having true/false as values for the checked
> attribute would be a bad idea. It isn't a valid code example.
>

>>Anyway, next I'll ask why is the following invalid?
>>
>><input ... checked="">
>

> The _only_ value allowed for the attribute is 'checked'. A null string
> is not 'checked' and so isn't allowed. If the attribute is present
> then it must have the value 'checked'.

I understand that. I was asking why.

What I am trying to say is that it makes generating XHTML output
clumsy/redundant because a source XML used in an XSL transformation to a
templating language for runtime cannot look like (velocity):

<input #if($isChecked)checked="checked"#end/>

or (jsp):

<input <%=if(isChecked)checked="checked";%>/>

I realize it is not the goal of the HTML working to accomodate these
situations. It just doesn't seem logical to me. I was wondering if there
was a logical explanation.

thanks,
-Rob