Re: Unstyled Content (was Re: Draft suggestion: "normal" needed)

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>(Mind you, the specification _does_ have to mandate error handling
>behaviour, for the exact same reason, and that _does_ extend to HTML. The
>sheer lack of any error handling logic in XHTML2 is of great concern.)

I think the official position here is:

  The HTML Working Group has decided that it cannot legislate how XHTML
  processors (user agents, validators, etc) will behave in the presence
  of data that is NOT a conforming XHTML document. We have attempted to
  clearly define what an XHTML document is, and certainly have indicated
  that an XHTML document must be valid. The processing of invalid
  content has NOTHING TO DO WITH INTEROPERABILITY OF DOCUMENTS, since by
  definition invalid content is not interoperable.

    -- http://www.w3.org/mid/42976825.3000606@aptest.com

Look, and I thought it might be reasonable to require that Validators
(as mentioned above) emit an indication that the content is incorrect
in the presence of non-conforming data; pity this can't be legislated...