Re: code and blockcode

Hi Laurens,

At 11:48 13/07/2005, Laurens Holst wrote:

>Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>
>>Line numbering does make sense for poetry, even in poems where whitespace
>>matters. It is common practice in literature textbooks. Any academic
>>edition of plays by Shakespeare (and near-cotemporaries) also uses line
>>numbering. However, in such textbooks and editions, only every fifth or
>>tenth line gets a number.
>>Moreover, when quoting a literary text, you woulnd't use blockcode but
>>blockquote. For poems where whitespace matters, I find blockquote (with
>>CSS white-space:pre) preferable to the pre element.
>
>Who says that it must be a quote? Are you saying I canā€™t make original
>poems myself?

I was only providing examples of cases where line numbering makes sense
outside the context of computing. For original poetry where whitespace
matters, you can use normal paragraphs with white-space:pre or you can use
the xml:space="preserve" attribute.

>Anyways, I wouldn't want line numbering for poems, but I would want it for
>code. So that is a case where I want to distinguish code from other
>preformatted content, which is what I meant to illustrate.

I have no issue with the blockcode element, but since we have CSS and
xml:space, I wonder why the XHTML WG wants to keep the pre element and
introduced the layout attribute [1].

>As another example, consider ASCII art. It is definitely preformatted. It
>definitely isn't code, and definitely shouldn't have numbered lines.

1. No one ever said that poetry or ASCII art should have line numbers.
There are use cases where line numbering for poems and other literary text
are useful.
2. I haven't seen any ASCII art for ages. It seems like a relic of the
nineties; web developers now have much better technologies for visual
information at their disposal. Can you provide three examples of ASCII art
available on the Web today?

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-core.html#adef_core_layout

>~Grauw
>
>--
>Ushiko-san! Kimi wa doushite, Ushiko-san!!

I'm still curious what this quote means.

--
Christophe Strobbe
Document Architectures