Re: Embedded (inline) indexing tags

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 07:53, you wrote:
> > distinct.)  It seems to me that it's the search engine's problem if it=20
> > somehow fails to find important information.
>
> Often such heuristics are defences against abuse by authors trying to
> increase their rating.  Metadata, because it doesn't get displayed in
> HTML 4/XHTML 1, is a good place for keyword stuffing by people who don't
> really care about its true purpose.

Nothing stops the search engine from stopping indexing of keywords after a
certain point in the page either.

Although in all honesty, you would get better results if you _did_ index the
entire page.  Then you can trivially detect keyword abuse by counting the
number of keywords in the page and penalising for large numbers.  I thought
this was already how Google worked anyway.

But like I said, if they skip _important_ metadata, then it's their own
problem.  They would quickly get supplanted by superior search engines, just
like Altavista did when their results started getting crap.

TX

--
             Email: Trejkaz Xaoza <trejkaz@trypticon.org>
          Web site: http://xaoza.net/