Re: SGML

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:10:48AM +0000, Surendra Singhi wrote:

> Are there still lot of legacy web pages out there which uses SGML?

There are three common types of webpage.

* XHTML - an XML application
* HTML - an SGML application
* Tag soup - a mishmash of HTML and/or XHTML code that "works" thanks
  to error correction in browsers.

I suspect that most of the hacks you've found are for dealing with
webpages in the latter category.

> At one point of time I was also contemplating making a parser just good
> enough for eating XHTML 2.0, but then thought XHTML 2.0 is hardly used
> by anyone

It is rather difficult to use XHTML 2.0, given that it is currently
only a working draft.

> , and so I should support HTML 4.1.

No such language, I assume you mean HTML 4.01.

> Any opinions on this are  also welcome.

If you need the browser to work on the web, then you need to support
the tag soup that the majority of webpages are written in. Sad, but
true.